Call for Applications to Join the Board
Canadian Women Voters Congress (“CWVC”) is recruiting individuals to serve as board members.
Application deadline: August 22nd 2016
Start date: Following AGM in September 2016
While we encourage applications from all people who self-identify as women, we recognize the importance of a diverse leadership and encourage applications from Aboriginal women, LGBTQ identified women, women of colour, immigrant women, and women with a disability.
We also encourage applications from outside Metro Vancouver.
While we are interested in a variety of skills and experiences, we seek individuals with one or more of the following:
- Leadership abilities with an interest in becoming Chair or Co-Chair
- Interest in becoming Secretary and/or Treasurer
- Skills and interest in web technology, CRMs and social media
- Skills and interest in events and sponsorship
- Experience working on non-profit boards
- A positive, collaborative approach to governance
- Connections to multicultural and ethnic leadership organizations (e.g. business associations, media)
Roles and Responsibilities:
Chair/Co-Chair (1 or 2 individuals respectively)
- Provides leadership to the Board
- Takes responsibility for the overall financial, people, and strategic plans of the organization
- Looks to advance the stature of the organization in the community and with other like-minded organizations
- Chairs board and AGM meetings
- Recruits new board members when needed
- Signs and sends all donation thank yous
- Liases with bookkeeper/admin staff member as needed
- Is an active relationship builder
- Represents Canadian Women Voters Congress at internal and external events and in media or delegates appropriately
- Is a signing officer
Secretary (1 individual)
- Provides notice of meetings to directors, along with the agenda and any other preparatory materials
- Records minutes of all Board and AGM meetings
- Ensures minutes of meeting are distributed promptly after meetings
- Keeps record of Board attendance
- Is signing officer
Treasurer (1 individual)
- Ensures current and acceptable financial practices are in place in the organization
- Speaks for the budget in partnership with the Chair
- Gives quarterly reports to the Board on the financial state of the organization
- Ensures preparation of year-end financial statements and presents them, as approved by the Board, at annual general meeting
- Is a signing officer
- Facilitates all banking administration
General Members/Members-At-Large (Multiple)
- Attend monthly board meetings, AGM, and special events
- Serve on a task force or committee, or lead a special project, priority area
- Support other board members' projects or priorities as requested
- Support special events
- Promote the organization in the community
- Other duties as required
We are a non-partisan board and are committed to non-partisan support for women in politics.
Joining the board of directors is a two (2) year commitment, with possibility for extension and leadership opportunities. Time commitments are dependent on the position but vary from 2-10+ hours per month.
We meet on the first Wednesday or Thursday of each month, either in-person or by teleconference, depending on the location of our board members. Board members are highly encouraged to attend every meeting, as well as public events and our AGM (should location permit).
If you are interested in applying to join the board, please email a resume in PDF format to email@example.com. In the body of your email please include:
- A short statement that describes your motivation for joining the board and how your education, skills and/or experience make you a good candidate
- Your availability for phone interviews during the evening the week of August 22nd-28th.
Only those selected for interview will be contacted. Please feel free to share this opportunity with your networks.